Our service for you

We guide you through your studies

Especially at the beginning of your studies, you may have many questions. Our student service is always there for you. If you have questions about your semester ticket or your enrolment certificate, just get in touch with us and feel welcome!

How to reach us

You can reach our Student Services in person or by phone from: Monday to Friday from 8.00 am - 6.30 pm. We are also happy to offer you other times by prior arrangement, should you not be able to make it.

We are happy to answer your questions via phone: +49 (0)2381 9291 -0

Write us an email

What you need to know FAQ Study Service

Since we receive many calls every day, we would appreciate it if you could send us an email to:
We will try to give you an answer as soon as possible.

Please send your enquiry by e-mail to the relevant department that matches the subject of your enquiry. If this department is not the right one, your e-mail will be forwarded to the right department and you will receive an answer as soon as possible. Please avoid writing to more than one department about the same issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Here you can find the addresses of the most important departments in our administration:

You can easily download your matriculation certificate yourself in CampusNet under Documents > My documents. Here you will also find the matriculation certificate for the following semester about one month before the semester starts.

Please send an email to Student Services ( with your full name, matriculation number, and the particular ID card you need. Please also indicate that it is a replacement ID. Please note that the cost for issuing a replacement ticket is 35,00€.

The NRW Semesterticket is valid on all regional and local public transport networks within the state of North Rhine-Westphalia and the city of Osnabrück. Thus, all buses, streetcars, city trains and subways as well as the trains of the local rail transport (S-Bahn, regional train, regional express) can be used (exceptions concern very few bus lines without application of a North Rhine-Westphalian association tariff). Important: High speed trains such as IC and ICE are NOT included! Further information about the NRW-Semesterticket can be found in the link below.

Information regarding semester ticket

The current version of your schedule can always be found on CampusNet under "Schedule". If you have any questions about the schedule, please contact our scheduling department at

Depending on the course of study, there are different lecture and lecture-free periods. Here you can find a list divided by semester, department and study program. Please note that these are provisional semester schedules and may be changed!

Semester Schedule

Data such as your private e-mail address and telephone number can easily be changed by yourself in CampusNet under "my data". For other data, such as a change of address or name, please contact our Student Services (

As per German law international students in Germany are required to have health insurance during their studies. Without German health insurance you will be unable to start your studies.

There are two types of health insurance in Germany

  1. Compulsory health insurance
  2. Private insurance

If you are a student under the age of 30, you can enjoy public health insurance benefits.

You are not required to get health insurance if you come from the EU, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Morocco, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Tunisia, and Turkey. Public health insurance from these countries is valid in Germany. However, it is always best to contact your home country’s health insurance provider to ensure your health insurance is covered in Germany. It is mandatory to have German public health insurance if you find a student job or paid internship.

You are not eligible for the public health insurance if

  • you are 30+ years old
  • your home country’s health insurance is recognised in Germany
  • you are not enrolled in a degree programme
  • have a scholarship

More information will be sent to you by student service after your enrolment.

Once you receive the admission letter, it is time to apply for your German student visa. Typically, it takes 6 to 12 weeks to complete the process. This means, the sooner you start the visa process, the easier it will be.

A German student visa is necessary for all international students who want to participate in full-time academic studies. Students of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway), and Swiss nationals can study without a visa.

Suppose you are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, or the United States. In that case, you can enter Germany without a visa and stay for three months. Notice, you will need to apply for a residence permit if you wish to remain in Germany for more than three months (this is a temporary visa that will let you finish your academic studies).

Here you can find a list of the countries for which a visa is required to enter Germany:

When can I apply for a German student visa?
You can apply for a student visa as soon as you have received the admission letter from the university. You should apply at least three months before the semester start.

Which visa type do I need to apply for as a full-time student?
You need to apply for a national visa (category D Visa). Category (D) visa is necessary for anyone who wants to stay in Germany for more than 90 days. The application cost is EUR 75 (as of 2021).

What is the student visa process?

  1. Fill out the Germany student visa application form
  2. Have all the required documents ready
  3. Schedule an appointment
  4. Go for the interview at the visa application center
  5. Pay the student visa fees
  6. Submit biometrics
  7. Wait for the approval

What are the required documents for the student visa?

  • Certificates of past academic achievements
  • The acceptance letter from the German university
  • Your passport
  • two recent biometric photographs (3.5 cm by 4.5 cm)
  • A proof of health insurance for the first three months in Germany (travel insurance will be sufficed here)
  • A proof of financial resources

What kind of financial proof do I need to submit?*
One of the main criteria to applying for a student visa in Germany is proof of finances. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Germany international students must have access to finance themselves at EUR 861/ month, EUR 10,332/ year as of 2021. The embassy will ask you to provide proof of EUR 10,332 to suffice yourself during your travel first year. There are many ways to deliver this proof:

  1. Most international students open a blocked bank account. You can transfer the sum of EUR 10,332 to a local bank in Germany and only withdraw EUR 861/month. There are many officially recognized banks and service providers for expats in Germany who offer this service. More information about recognized banks and third-party providers you can find here:
  2. Another option is a Verpflichtungserklärung: someone from your family/friends in Germany can sponsor all your expenses
  3. You can present a scholarship award
  4. You can show proof of bank guarantee

* all amounts: as of 2021.

For how long will my visa be granted?
Initially, the Student Visa is only granted for 90/180 days for all students. Once you are in Germany you can apply for a residence permit at the local Immigration office in your city.

How do I apply for a residence permit?
To apply for a residence permit you will need to show proof of:

  • Your enrolment
  • A registered address
  • A health Insurance
  • A blocked bank account- to show that you have means to financially support yourself while in Germany

This process will be done at your city’s local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde).

Can I work as an international student?
EU/EEA and Switzerland national students can work for maximum of 20 hours/week during a semester. The other International students can work up to 120 full days or 240 half days.

What happens to my student visa after completing my studies?
After completing your degree you can apply for a new permit- either for a job (if you have already found one) or for job search. With a job search visa you must provide proof of your awarded degree. This visa will be valid for 18 months. Also, you must ensure about your living expense and health insurance during this time. You can also work freely during this time without any restrictions.

Yes, this is possible. There are two possibilities for this:

  • the bridging semester
  • the semester break

Both special semesters may only be taken once.


The requirements for the bridging semester are:

  • The bridging semester is your 4th semester if you are studying in the Master's program, or your 6th semester if you are studying in the Bachelor's program
  • You have already earned 90 credit points in the Master's program or 150 credit points in the Bachelor's program
  • During the bridging semester you are not allowed to take any exams and you are not allowed to register your thesis. Examinations that have to be repeated are exempt from this regulation
  • The bridging semester is a tuition-free semester. If you have already paid the tuition fees for the last year of study in advance, the 5th (Master) or 7th (Bachelor) semester will be tuition-free instead
  • The study semesters continue to be counted, which means that you will exceed the standard period of study of 4 (Master) or 6 (Bachelor) semesters by at least one semester
  • Your semester ticket remains valid during the bridging semester
  • If you want to take a bridging semester, please submit an informal application to the examination office at You will then receive a feedback whether you will be granted a bridging semester


The requirements for the semester break are:

  • The ability to study is temporarily suspended, e.g. due to
    • illness
    • maternity or parental leave
    • Internships in the English-language degree programs *
    • care of relatives
  • Evidence must be provided for the reasons
  • The application must be submitted at least 2 months before the start of the semester
  • During the semester break, you are not allowed to take exams or register your thesis. Examinations that have to be retaken are exempt from this rule
  • You can continue to use your semester ticket at your own expense, for this purpose please contact the Student Services
  • During the semester break, the semesters are not counted, the tuition fees are paused

* If you would like to do an internship, this is only possible in the English-language programs in the 4th (Master) or 6th (Bachelor) semester. You must have already earned 90 credit points in the Master's program or 150 credit points in the Bachelor's program. Your internship contract must be submitted to the university no later than two months after the start of the semester of leave. In the 5th month of the leave semester, an internship report with task description and evaluation must be submitted to Student Services.

To obtain a semester break, please complete this form and send it to

Request vacation semester

What you need to know FAQ Examination Service

Please email to and we will register you for your exam in CampusNet.

We try to publish the scores within 5 weeks. However, please understand that it may take a little longer for large groups or elaborate papers. However, if you feel that the grade should be available by now, please send an email to

Please mail us

Please send an email to and let us know that you are unable to attend. Afterwards, please send a certificate of incapacity for work (Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung (AU)) by mail or email to the examination office.

After you have found a supervisor, please fill in the registration form and submit it to your supervisor and to the Examination Office (by mail or the original document)

Registration for Thesis

Please fill in the application form, stating the exact reasons, and pass it on to your supervisor and the Examination Office (by e-mail or as the original document)

Please contact the fee department (

If the content of your thesis changes fundamentally, you may reschedule once within the first month in consultation with your supervisor. If the content does not change and only the title is affected, please inform the examination office about the new title after consulting your supervisor.

Please send the digital version to your examiner and give two bound copies to the Examination Office, both no later than the day of the deadline.

It takes about four weeks for your transcript to be generated and then mailed to you. Please make sure that your address in CampusNet is up to date! If required, we will issue a provicional certificate of completion of your studies.

You can find the framework study and examination regulations in CampusNet.

Was du wissen solltest FAQ IT

For CampusNet, Microsoft Office, PC-Pool, BYOD-Wifi and Citrix please use the following ID: Username + PasswordX. For the AllstayApp please use: your Unimail address (firstname.lastname@...) + PasswordY

Select BYOD and log in with your CampusNet login data.

Please look in CampusNet under Services > Library (link below).

Please enter your CampusNet login data.

First register (please use the link below first), place your student ID in front of the scanner at the printer and insert the USB stick.